Sunday, February 14, 2010

How to make him understand

My son and my daughter have been in the same beginners swimming class last term. But unfortunately, my son who is older than my daughter stays in the same class, and my daughter moves one level up. The moment that I've known this last year, I felt it was very difficult for my son to accept it. So we tried our best to make him understand that he shouldn't feel bad and should try harder. But what do you expect from a 6-year old boy, of course it is very hard for him to take this situation. He said he wanted to quit. We've spent the whole summer vacation trying to make him understand and we've tried to bring him more often to the pools so he could practice.

Last Wednesday was his 2nd lesson for this term, and I brought him to class. He didn't want to go his teacher and he was crying and said "Mum, can you find a way that I could move to higher class?" Eventually he went down to the pool and started to do the lessons. I didn't really want to go to the swim schools office to talk to the people there but for my son, I will try to just to give him a chance. So I told them about the situation and asked if my son could be assessed. After the end of the lesson, one of the ladies from the office talked to me and said that my son is still not ready because he is not able to float on his back.

This situation is so heartbreaking for me as well as my son, but I need to tell him again about it. I said that I've done what I could do but still he stays in his class. Then he cried, then I tried to stop myself from crying. He says he wants to quit again. We went home, me and my husband were able to make him promise that he will do his best to swim and try not to cry. Then I burst in to tears.

So, so painful for me. I try to be the best Mum that I can be but at these trying times, I cannot change how my son feels and thinks... I just pray to the Lord that He bless us continually and in time my son would be able to accept and understand everything..

2 comments:

Romeo Arenzana said...

Sibling rivalry is tough, although I don't have kids, I remember how me and my brother always used to one-up each other. Tell him to hang in there and remind him to have fun and it's not a competition. It took me years to conquer my fear of water (cuz I almost drowned) but it was worth it at the end. I'm sure he'll get to the next level in his own time.

cindy said...

Kuya,
Ok na si Ben for the past two weeks, hindi na sya umiiyak, at willing na mag-swim. Binigyan ko sila ng reward, after they did the lessons, binilhan ko ng ice cream dun sa cafe. pero sabi ko next week kahit good sila, wala nang ice cream... :-)

We've been trying to tell Ben, that it's not always sya yung mas magaling kay Ann. We told him that they both have different talents so one may be better at other aspects. Si Ann naman good yan, she doesn't brag about her level, and she even encourages her brother to swim...

Masakit lang talaga kay Ben, he is stuck with younger, smaller kids, and he can see his sister with bigger kids. O dba, masakit, considering bata pa sya, hindi tlaga nya agad maintindihan..

Buti nga ngayon ang mga parents they have open communication with children. The only thing needed is patience.

I'm glad na-overcome mo yung fear mo sa water... O dba, brave ka na ngayon... :-)